Monday, December 1, 2014

Making the D-Link FR300 Wifi USB Dongle work in Kali Linux

Remembered I had this wifi USB dongle, and it wouldn't work before on my Linux systems, I believe it is primarily intended for Windows PC's.  Put it off for a while as I had a couple other dongles I could use but I got a sudden urge of curiousity.  Luckily I was able to find how to get it connected, looks like all that's needed is to add an ID number to a file.

[chili555] on Ubuntu Forums had the solution, which is as follows:

1) Plug in device.  Open up a terminal and type "lsusb" then enter.  You should see a D-Link wireless adapter with ID #: 07d1:3304.  After the 'd' is a number one, not a lowercase "L".  This is what we need.  For reasons unknown to me now, this ID # wasn't included in the r8712u driver file.  So we can add that.

2) Before we do that, check that you have the r8712u driver on your computer.  Kali Linux should have it, but other Linuxes might not.  Type: "modinfo r8712u" and enter.  You should get something like this and you have the driver:

 3) So let's get this done, if you aren't root, type: "sudo -i" then enter.  If you are root you don't need sudo, and type in the quotation marks of course!  Then "modprobe r8712u" and enter.  Modprobe is a pretty low level program that edits the kernel, so you have to be careful with these commands. 

Next type: "echo -n "07d1 3304" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/r8712u/new_id" then enter.  Then exit the terminal by typing "exit" and enter. 

Now you should get life!  The LED should begin blinking, so great to see life! And even better this dongle has a very good bit rate (72 Mb/s) so is faster than my other wifi dongles.  :)

I was able to connect to my access point after this.  If problems still persist for you there may be either potentially a hardware problem or not the right driver.  It could be a really tiny, yet hard to find problem.  Don't give up!

Link to solution thread (skip to page 4 for solution):
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2211911

No comments: